Guest Classical Ballet Teacher
Angela Malan was born and trained in Johannesburg. She has had a
professional career as a Principal dancer spanning over two decades.
Named one of South Africa’s finest ballerinas. She has danced a vast
repertoire across many different genres and received several accolades,
including the South African Arts and Culture Trust award for excellence.
She has been partnered by acclaimed artists such as Friedemann Vogel,
Guilleme Cote, Nikolaj Hubbe, Josef Varga, and Marlon Dino. She has worked with and alongside some of the greatest teachers, choreographers, and producers of the 20th and 21st centuries.
Exposure to and collaboration with these dancers, teachers, choreographers, and producers, has enabled Angela to achieve artistic excellence, developing her teaching and coaching to superior levels. Not only one of South Africa’s greatest ballerinas, but Angela is also a choreographer, teacher of students and professionals, coach, producer, and was a founding member of South African Ballet Theatre. Ballet mistress to Mzansi Ballet, South African Mzansi Ballet, and Joburg Ballet. She is the mastermind and coordinator of International Ballet Galas forcharity, “Dance to Make a Difference.” Angela is an ABT ® Certified Teacher, who has successfully completed the ABT ® Teacher Training Curriculum in Pre-Primary through Level 7 and Partnering.
Repertoire as a Principal Ballerina Include:
● Anna in Anna Karenina; Choreographed and staged by Andre Prokovsky.
● Snow Queen and Sugar Plum Fairy in The Nutcracker.
● Giselle and the Queen of the Wilis in Giselle.
● Hannah in The Merry Widow; choreographed and staged by Ronald Hyand.
● Rosalinda in Rosalinda; choreographed and staged by Ronald Hyand.
● Juliet in Romeo and Juliet; staged by Denise Schultz.
● Odette/ Odile in Swan Lake in a number of different productions, including as a guest artist at Zurich Ballet.
● Aurora and the Lilac Fairy in The Sleeping Beauty.
● Kitri in Don Quixote: staged and produced in collaboration with the Cuban National Ballet School.
● Medora in Le Corsaire.
● Ophelia and the Queen in Kenneth Greve’s Hamlet.
● Cinderella in Sir Frederick Ashton’s production as well as Veronica Paeper’s.
● The Sylph in La Sylphide staged by Peter Bo Bendixen.
● The prelude in Les Sylphides.
● Grand Pas Classique.
● Camille in Veronica Paeper’s La Traviata.
● Carmen in Veronica Paeper’s Carmen.
● The role of Evelyn in Val Caniparoli’s Lamberena.
● 2nd movement in Kenneth MacMillan’s Concerto.
● Paul Taylor’s Company B.
● David Bintly’s Still Life at the Penguin Cafe.
● Choo San Goh’s Unknown Territories staged by Janek Schergan.
Balanchine Ballets Include:
● Apollo: Terpsichore.
● Who Cares: “Man I Love” and “Embraceable You.”
● Theme and Variations.
● Tchaikovsky pas de deux.
● Rubies: soloist lady and pas de deux couple.
● Ballet Imperial: Pas de trois and pas de deux.
● Divertimento #15.
Classical Ballets’ Staged:
● Sleeping Beauty.
● Swan Lake.
● Romeo and Juliet.
● Napoli Act 3.
Full-length Ballets Choreographed and Produced:
● Don Quixote.
● Le Corsaire.